Sonalisa Ray Assistant Professor sonarfce[at]iitr.ac.in +91-1332-28-5673
Areas of Interest
- Structural Engineering, Fracture and Fatigue analysis in Concrete Structures
- Fracture Mechanics, Size effect in Concrete
- Concrete fracture Modelling at various scales, Residual life assessment of concrete structures
- Structural health monitoring, Biomechanics
Honors and Awards
|High value National Doctoral Fellowship (NDF)||AICTE||2008-2011|
|PhD||Structural Engineering||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||2012|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Fracture Mechanics based Fatigue Analysis in Reinforced Concrete Members:A Computational A||IIT Roorkee (Faculty Initiation Grant)||2013|
|Development of Agriculture Waste-based Accelerator for Enhanced Concrete Hardening (AgWACH)||NBCC||2015|
|A multi-scale based fracture and fatigue analysis in quasi-brittle materials||DST||2016|
- American Society of Civil Engineers , Member
- Indian Concrete Institute (ICI), Member
- Indian Society for Construction Materials and Structures, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Concrete Technology||CE 611||MTech||Spring|
|Fracture Mechanics in Quasi-brittle Materials||CEN-649||MTech||Spring|
|Engineering Graphics||CE 201||BTech||Autumn|
|Design of Steel Elements||CE 354||BTech||Spring|
|Design of Steel Elements||CEN 305||BTech||Autumn|
|Solid Mechanics||CEN 102||BTech||Spring|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Fatigue analysis of RC members under variable amplitude cyclic loading||Jeshna C|
|Analysis of Concrete Filled Reinforced Concrete Pipes as Tubular Columns||T V Babu|
|Evaluation of Reinforced Concrete Panels under Blast Loading||Lt Col K V Kartik|
|Studies on Crack Interaction Mechanism||Sarfaraz Alam|
|Fatigue Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Members||Abhinav Singh|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Size Effect Studies in Concrete||Sonali Bhowmik||O||2014|
|Development of Agriculture Waste-based Accelerator for Enhanced Concrete Hardening (AgWACH)||Saikat Das||O||2016|
|Studies on ITZ and its effects on fracture properties||Dinesh Kumar Samal||O||2016|
|Fatigue analysis of concrete members||V Seshasayee||O||2017|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Introduction to Modeling and Simulations||IIT Roorkee, Roorkee||10/12/2013|
|Recent Advances in Concrete Composites||Dr B R Ambedkar National Institute of Technology, Jalandhar (Punjab)||16/12/2013|
|Structural Integrity and Life assessment||TEQIP||26/12/2015|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Second Annual Students Symposium||Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||6-8Aug2009|
|IISc Centenary Conference||Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.||13/12/2008|
|Interquadrennial Conference of the International Congress on Fracture (IQCICF)||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||3/08/2008|
Refereed Journal Papers
- S. Ray, J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack propagation model for plain concrete – Analogy with population growth”, Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 77, (2010), 3418–3433.
- S. Ray, J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack propagation model and size effect in concrete using dimensional analysis”, Mechanics of Materials, Vol. 43, (2011) 75–86.
Among Top 25 most downloaded articles in 2011 (January to December 2011 full year)
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack growth due to overloads in plain concrete using scaling laws”, SADHANA - Academy Proceedings in Engineering Sciences; Indian Academy of Sciences, Vol. 37, Part 1, February 2012, 107–124.
- S. Ray, J. M. Chandra Kishen, ‘Analysis of fatigue crack growth in reinforced concrete beams', Materials and Structures, Vol 47, 183-198, 2014.
- Santosh G. Shah, S. Ray, J. M. Chandra Kishen, ‘Fatigue Crack Propagation studies in Concrete - Concrete Bi-material Interface'. International Journal of Fatigue, January 2014.
Manuscripts under Review:
- S. Ray, J. M. Chandra Kishen, ‘Modeling of the Anomalous Behavior of Short Cracks in Concrete under Fatigue', International Journal of Fatigue.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack growth analysis of short cracks in concrete”, The 23rd International Congress of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (ICTAM 2012), IUTAM 2012, 19-24 August 2012, Beijing, China.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack propagation model for bi-material interfaces”, 3rd International Conference on Concrete Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting. ICCRRR 2012, 3-5 September 2012, Cape Town, South Africa.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “The effect of bond stress on residual strength of cracked RC beams”, 21st International Conference on Structure Mechanics in Reactor Technology (SMiRT 21), 6-11 November 2011, New Delhi, India.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue damage assessment in cracked RC beams”, The International Conference on Advances in Construction Materials through Science and Engineering, RILEM, 5-7 September 2011, Hong Kong, Pages 427-434.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Analysis of fatigue crack growth in RC beam”, 2011 International Conference on Multimedia Technology (ICMT 2011), IEEE, 26-28 July 2011, Hangzhou, China, Pages 963 - 966 .
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue life prediction of cracked concrete pavements”, Conference on Infrastructure, Sustainable Transportation and Urban Planning (CISTUP), 18-20 October 2010, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Energy based fatigue crack propagation model for plain concrete”, 7th International Conference on Fracture Mechanics of Concrete and Concrete Structures (FraMCoS-7), 23-28 May 2010, Jeju, Korea.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Estimation of fatigue crack propagation in concrete based on population growth model”, 3rd International Congress on Computational Mechanics and Simulation (ICCMS09), 1-5 December 2009, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, India.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack propagation in plain concrete using incomplete self-similarity”, 12th International Conference on Fracture 2009, ICF-12, Vol. 9, 2009, PP. 6623-6632, Canada.
- S. Ray and J. M. Chandra Kishen, “Fatigue crack propagation model for plain concrete using self-similarity concepts”, Interquadrennial Conference of the International Congress on Fracture (IQCICF), 3-7 August 2008, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore.
- S. Ray, “Fatigue crack propagation and residual life assessment of reinforced concrete beams” ”, Third Annual Students Symposium, 26-27 August 2010, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- S. Ray, “Energy based fatigue crack propagation model for plain concrete fatigue crack propagation and residual life assessment of reinforced concrete beams”, Second Annual Students Symposium, 6-8 August 2009, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India.
- S. Ray, “Fatigue model for plain concrete using self-similarity: A preliminary study”, First Annual Students Symposium, 9-10 July 2008, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India