Kaustav Chatterjee Assistant Professor kchatfce[at]iitr.ac.in +91-1332-284879
Areas of Interest
- Geotechnical Engineering, Soil Dynamics, Earthquake Engineering, Liquefaction
- Static and seismic stability analysis of slopes, retaining walls, sheet piles, shallow foundations, pile foundations
- Numerical Modeling in Geomechanics, Foundation Engineering
|June 2016||Ongoing||Assistant Professor||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|March 2016||May 2016||Post Doctoral Research Student||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan|
|Dec 2015||Feb 2016||Research Assistant||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay|
Honors and Awards
|Best Paper Award 1st Prize||International Geotechnical Engineering Conference organized by ISSMGE, IGS Mumbai Chapter||2016|
|Post Doctoral Research (MEXT+University funding)||Graduate School of Agriculture, Kyoto University, Japan||2016|
|Attend 15ARC at Fukuoka, Japan||Science and Engineering Research Board (DST, Government of India)||2015|
|Gold Medal in Bachelor of Technology in Civil Engineering||West Bengal University of Technology||2011|
|Debjani Dasgupta Memorial Gold Medal||West Bengal University of Technology||2011|
|2nd prize in the National Student Award Competition||Institute of Steel Development and Growth (INSDAG)||2009|
|M.Tech+Ph.D. Dual Degree||Geotechnical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay||2016|
|B.Tech||Civil Engineering||West Bengal Univerity of Technology||2010|
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Soil Dynamics and Machine Foundations||CEN 524||PG (Core); UG (Elective)||Autumn|
|Soil Mechanics (Tutorial+Practical)||CEN 303||UG||Autumn|
|Technical Communications||CEN 391||UG||Autumn|
Refereed Journal Papers
In Referred International Journals:
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2015); “Analytical and numerical approaches to compute the influence of vertical load on lateral response of single pile.” Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication, (ISSN: 2188-8027), Japan, In section 6. Foundations - Bearing capacity, Part 1, The 15th Asian Regional Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Japan, 2(36), pp. 1319-1322, doi: http://doi.org/10.3208/jgssp.IND-11.
- Deepankar Choudhury, Ashutosh Kumar and Kaustav Chatterjee (2015); “Coupled behavior of pile foundations in liquefied and non–liquefied soils during earthquakes including case study.” Japanese Geotechnical Society Special Publication (ISSN: 2188-8027), Japan, In International Workshop on Geotechnics for Resilient Infrastructure,
The Second Japan-India Workshop in Geotechnical Engineering, 3(2), pp. 11-15, doi: http://doi.org/1 0.3208/jgssp.v03.i02
- Kaustav Chatterjee, Deepankar Choudhury and Harry G. Poulos (2015); “Seismic analysis of laterally loaded pile under influence of vertical loading using finite element method.” Computers and Geotechnics (ISSN: 0266-352X, Impact Factor: 1.647/2013), Elsevier, 67, 172–186, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.compgeo.2015.03.004.
- Kaustav Chatterjee, Deepankar Choudhury, Vansittee Dilli Rao and S. P. Mukherjee (2015); “Dynamic analyses and field observations on piles in Kolkata city.” Geomechanics and Engineering: An International Journal (ISSN: 2005–307X, Impact Factor: 0.350/2013), Techno Press, Korea, 8(3), 415–440, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/gae.2015.8.3.415.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Variations in shear wave velocity and soil site class in Kolkata city using regression and sensitivity analysis.” Natural Hazards (ISSN: 0921–030X, Impact Factor: 1.958/2013), Springer, Netherlands, 69(3), 2057–2082, doi: 10.1007/s11069-013-0795-7.
In Geotechnical Special Publications (GSP) of ASCE, USA
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2014); “Seismic analysis of soil slopes using FLAC2D and modified Newmark’s approach”, In Geo-Congress 2014: Geotechnical Special Publication No. GSP 234, ASCE, Reston, VA, USA, pp. 1196-1205, in CD ROM.
In Referred National Journals:
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2016); “Influences of local soil conditions for ground response in Kolkata city during earthquakes.” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, India, Section A: Physical Sciences (ISSN: 0369–8203, Impact Factor: 0.242/2014), Springer, India, in press, published online on January 27, 2016 with doi: 10.1007/s40010-016-0265-1.
- Deepankar Choudhury, V. S. Phanikanth, Sumedh Y. Mhaske, Reshma R. Phule and Kaustav Chatterjee (2015); “Seismic liquefaction hazard and site response for design of piles in Mumbai city.” Indian Geotechnical Journal (ISSN: 0971–9555), Springer, India, 45(1), 62–78, doi: 10.1007/s40098-014-0108-4.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2015); “Soil liquefaction and bearing capacity at a building site in Lucknow, India under earthquake conditions.” Disaster Advances (ISSN: 0974–262X, Impact Factor: 2.272/2012), India, 8(5), 16–28.
In Referred International Conferences:
- Deepankar Choudhury, Ashutosh Kumar, Kaustav Chatterjee and Milind S. Patil (2015); “Landslide Disasters due to Earthquake, Blast and Seepage - Theory and Case Study”, Proceedings of the 6th International Geotechnical Symposium (6IGS) on ‘Disaster Mitigation in Special Geoenvironmental Conditions’, January 21-23, 2015, IIT Madras, Chennai, India, pp. 87-90.
- Kaustav Chatterjee, V. Dilli Rao and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “A critical study on behavior of pile groups in liquefied soil under seismic conditions.” Proceedings of the International Symposium on Advances in Foundation Engineering (ISAFE–2013), December 5–6, 2013, Singapore, pp. 319–324, doi: 10.3850/978-981-07-4623-0 073, Research Publishing Services, ISBN No. 978–981–07–4623–0.
- V. Dilli Rao, Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Analysis of single pile in liquefied soil during earthquake using FLAC3D.” Proceedings of the International Conference on State of the Art of Pile Foundation and Pile Case Histories (PILE–2013), June 2–4, 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, Vol. 1, pp. F5–1 to F5–7.
- Deepankar Choudhury, Kaustav Chatterjee, V. S. Phanikanth and Ashutosh Kumar (2013); “Behaviour of piles in liquefied soil under seismic conditions.” Proceedings of the International Conference on State of the Art of Pile Foundation and Pile Case Histories (PILE–2013), June 2–4, 2013, Bandung, Indonesia, Vol. 1, pp. A5–1 to A5–18.
In Referred National Conferences:
- Deepankar Choudhury, Kaustav Chatterjee, Ashutosh Kumar and Reshma Raskar Phule (2014); “Pile foundations during earthquakes in liquefiable soils – theory to practice.” Proceedings of 15th Symposium on Earthquake Engineering (15SEE–2014), December 11–13, 2014, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India, pp. 327–342, Paper No. K–001 in CD, Elite Publishing, ISBN No. 978–81–88901–59–3.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2013); “Effect of damping models on dynamic response of single pile.” Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2013): Geotechnical Advances & Novel Geotechnical Applications (GANGA), December 22–24, 2013, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India, Paper ID: 5th–06, pp. 1–10, in CD, ISBN No. 978–81–925548–1–5.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2012); “A critical review of seismic hazard analyses of north–eastern India.” Proceedings of Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2012), December 13–15, 2012, IIT Delhi, New Delhi, India, Vol. II, pp. 939–942, Paper No. H–806 in CD.
- Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2012); “Seismic stability analyses of soil slopes using analytical and numerical approaches.” Proceedings of the ISET Golden Jubilee Symposium, October 20–21, 2012, IIT Roorkee, Roorkee, India.
- Ritika, Kaustav Chatterjee and Deepankar Choudhury (2011); “Effect of blast load on seismic slope stability using FLAC.” Proceedings of the Golden Jubilee Indian Geotechnical Conference (IGC–2011): GeoChallenges, December 15–17, 2011, Kochi, Kerala, India, in CD paper number K–099, Vol. II, pp. 639–642.