- Arshdeep Singh current PhD student of Structure Engineering Group has been nominated for 2019 commonwealth Split-Site Scholarship tenable in London (United Kingdom) by Commonwealth Scholarship Commission (UK). He has received travel grant, University tuition fee & living expenses for one period of 12 month in UK as part of doctoral studies undertaking collaborative research. Congratulations to him and his able Supervisor Prof. Bhupinder Singh. Posted On: 21 Jun, 2019
- Prathiba Palanisamy current PhD student of Geomatics Group has been nominated by Technical Program Committee of IEEE International Geoscience & Remote Sensing Symposium 2019 to chair a Technical Session in @IGARSS 2019 in Yokohama, Japan on Urban Remote Sensing. She also has received travel grant for attending and presenting her work in the same symposium. Congratulations to her and her able Supervisor Prof Kamal Jain. Posted On: 19 Jun, 2019
- AICTE Sponsored Short Term Course on Digital Land Surveying, July 8-12, 2019 Posted On: 28 May, 2019
- List of Candidates Shortlisted for the Interview for Ph.D. Admission in Transportation Engineering on 14.05.2019 Posted On: 14 May, 2019
- List of Candidates Shortlisted for the Interview for Ph.D. Admission in Environmental Engineering on 14.05.2019 Posted On: 14 May, 2019
The Department of Civil Engineering at the Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee is the oldest and the largest in the country. It was established on November 25, 1847 as Roorkee Civil Engineering College and renamed as Thomason College of Civil Engineering in 1854. The department has produced several eminent engineers who have made significant contributions in the planning and execution of Civil Engineering projects in India as well as abroad.
The Department offers a four-year course leading to the Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering and two-year courses leading to Master’s degree in seven major specialisations of civil engineering (viz., Building Science and Technology, Environmental Engineering, Geomatics Engineering, Geotechnical Engineering, Hydraulics Engineering, Structural Engineering and Transportation Engineering). In total there are 387 students pursuing Bachelors degree and 209 students pursuing Masters Degree in the department. These programmes are supported with strong doctoral programmes in all the specialisations. More than 120 Ph. D. research scholars are currently working in the department on emerging research areas. There are currently 22 Professors, 10 Associate Professors, 14 Assistant Professors and 1 Scientific Officer working in the department.
The Department is known for its internationally reputed faculty having expertise in diverse fields. It has built up a wide research potential. The research programmes of the department are funded by various agencies such as Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Max Planck Society Germany, Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science & Technology (MEXT), Department of Science & Technology (DST), Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO), Petroleum Conservation Research Association (PCRA), Defence Research Development Organization (DRDO), Ministry of Environment & Forests (MoEF), Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), Uttarakhand Council of Science & Technology (UCOST) etc.
The faculty of the department continues to strive loftier by exploring new frontiers of knowledge, imparting the latest technical knowledge to the students and conducting high quality of research. The faculty also renders technical advice on live engineering problems to various Government and Private Sector companies throughout country.
Now is the time for new ideas and ambitions, for communities to work together to solve the many challenges facing society. Our department has a rich history of producing innovations and innovators, world class designers and builders, leading practitioners and public servants….