Dr. Prakash Biswas Associate Professor prakbfch[at]iitr.ac.in +91-1332-285820
Areas of Interest
- Biofuels and bioenergy
- Green catalytic process
- Reactor / Kinetic modeling
- Design and synthesis of nanostructured materials as shape and size selective catalyst
- CO2 utilization
- Selective hydrogenation and hydrogenolysis over supported nano-particle catalysts
- Selective oxidation and ammoxidation of normal alkanes
|2009||2009||Assistant Professor||National Institute of Technology Rourkela|
|B.Sc.||Chemistry Honours||University of Calcutta||1997|
|B.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||University of Calcutta||2000|
|M.Tech.||Chemical Engineering||IIT Kanpur||2002|
|PhD||Chemical Engineering||IIT Kanpur||2007|
|Post Doctoral Fellow||Catalysis and Chemical Reaction Engineering||University of Cincinnati Ohio USA||2009|
|2012||On Going||Staff advisor||Himalayan Explorer Club, IIT Roorkee|
|June, 2014||May 2015||Dy. Chief Advisor||Himalayan Explorers Club, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
|May 2013||Till Date||Associated Factlty||Center of Excellence for Transportation System (CTRANS), Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee|
Participation in seminars
|Registered participant in the SERC School on Modeling of Industrial Reactors".||I.I.T. Kanpur, Kanpur, India,||Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.||12-07-2004|
|5th Summer School on Petroleum Refining & Petrochemicals||Indian Oil Institute of Petroleum Management, Gurgaon, India.||Indian Oil Institute of Petroleum Management||07-06-2010|
|Participated in the National Symposium on "Current Trends in Materials Characterization".||Advanced Center for Materials Science, IIT Kanpur, Kanpur, India.||Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi||05-12-2005|
- Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers (IIChE), Life Member (LM-43902)
- The Institution of Engineers (India), Life Member (M-147440-5)
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Reaction Engineering||CH 303||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Autumn|
|Hydrocarbon Processing and Engineering-I||CH-551||IDD 4th Year||Autumn|
|Industrial Safety and Hazards Management||CH-515||IDD 4th Year||Autumn|
|Transfer Processes-I||CH-206||B.Tech & IDD second year||Spring|
|Natural Gas Engineering||CH-556||IDD IV th year& M.Tech (IPA) 1st year||Spring|
|Communication Skill||CH-312||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Spring|
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||CH-204||B.Tech & IDD second year||Spring|
|Chmical Enginering Lab-III||CH-310||B.Tech & IDD 3rd Year||Spring|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over supported copper and nickel catalysts||Satyanarayana Murthi Pudi||A||2010|
|Vapor phase conversion of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over supported nanoparticle catalysts||Nitin Naresh Pandhare||O||2011|
|Development of Catalysts for Liquid Phase Conversion of Glycerol to propanediol||Smita Mondal||O||2014|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering, University of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA||Post Doctoral Research||2007-2009|
|Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Minnesota, MN, USA||AIChE Annual Meeting||October, 2|
Courses or Conferences Organised
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Ammoxidation of propane over Mo-V-Nb-Te M1 phase catalyst||Department of Chemical Engineering, University of Calcutta, 92-APC Road, Kolkata-9, West Bengal, Ind||25-5-2010|
|Hydrogenation of 2-methylfuran, Furan over Supported noble and non-noble metal nanoparticle catalyst||IIChE, Kolkata, Jadavpur||28-6-2014|
|Conversion of Glycerol to Value Added Products over Supported Nanoparticle Catalyst||Jaipur, India||12-10-2014|
|Conversion of Biomass Derived Oxygenates to Value Added Chemicals over Nano-structured Catalysts||University of Saskatchewan, Canada||15-10-2014|
Refereed Journal Papers
In refereed International Journals
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru “Steam reforming of ethanol for production of Hydrogen over Ni/CeO2-ZrO2 catalyst: Effect of Support and metal loading”, Internal Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 (2007) 969-980.
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru, “Steam reforming of ethanol on Ni-CeO2-ZrO2 catalysts: effects of doping with copper, cobalt and calcium”, Catalysis Letters 118 (2007) 36-49.
- Prakash Biswas and Deepak Kunzru, “Oxidative Steam Reforming of Ethanol over Ni/CeO2-ZrO2 catalyst”, Chemical Engineering Journal 136 (2008) 41-49. This article got 11th position among top 25 hottest article in Chemical Engineering Journal in 2008. Reference link: http://top25.sciencedirect.com/subject/chemical-engineering/5/journal/chemical-engineering-journal/13858947/archive/15/
- Prakash Biswas, Jungwon Woo, Vadim V.Guliants, “Ruthenium and gold-doped M1 Phase MoVNbTeO Catalysts for propane ammoxidation to acrylonitrile”, Catalysis Communication, 12 (1) (2010) 58-63.
- Jiann-Horng Lin, Prakash Biswas, Vadim V. Guliants, Scott Misture, Hydrogen production by water-gas shift reaction over bimetallic Cu-Ni catalysts supported on La-doped mesoporous ceria, Applied Catalysis A: General, 387 (1-2) (2010) 87-94.
- Vinay Kumar, Shishir Sinha, Manohar Singh Saini, B K Kanungo and Prakash Biswas, “Rice Husk as Reinforcing Filler in Polypropylene Composites”, Reviews in Chemical Engineering 26 (1-2) (2010) 41-53.
- Prakash Biswas, Supriya Agrawal and Shishir Sinha, “Modeling and Simulation for Pressure Swing Adsorption system for Hydrogen Purification”, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly 24 (4) 409–414 (2010).
- Vishnu P. Yadav, Sunil K. Maity, Prakash Biswas, Raghubansha K. Singh, “ Kinetics of Esterification of Ethylene Glycol with Acetic Acid using Cation Exchange Resin Catalysts”, Chemical and Biochemical Engineering Quarterly, 25 (3) 359–366 (2011).
- Shalini Biswas, Prakash Biswas and Anil Kumar, Catalytic cracking of soybean oil with zirconium Complex chemically bonded to alumina support without hydrogen”, International Journal of Chemical Sciences and Applications, 3 (2) 306-313 ( 2012).
- Sweta, Shishir Sinha, Prakash Biswas, Shri Chand, Mannar R. Maurya, Liquid phase oxidation of Styrene over Polymer Anchored and Non-Polymer Anchored Cu (II) and Mn (II) Complexes Catalysts, Journal of Applied Polymer Science 127 (5) (2013) 3424-3434.
- Satyanarayana Murthy Pudi, Tarak Mondal, Prakash Biswas, Shalini Biswas and Shishir Sinha, “Conversion of glycerol into value-added products over Cu-Ni catalyst supported on γ-Al2O3 and activated carbon”, International Journal of Chemical Reactor Engineering 12 (1) (2014) 1–12.
- Prakash Biswas, Jiann-Horng Lin, Jungshik Kang and Vadim V. Guliants, “Vapor Phase Hydrogenation of 2-Methylfuran over Noble and Base Metal Catalysts”, Applied Catalysis A: General 475 (2014) 379–385.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Abdul Zoeb, Prakah Biswas, and Shashi Kumar “Liquid phase conversion of glycerol to propanediol over highly active copper/magnesia catalysts”, Journal of Chemical Science 127 (5) (2015) 833–842.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas, Shashi Kumar, Biswajit Sarkar, “Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-Propanediol over bimetallic Cu-Ni catalyst supported on γ-Al2O3”, Journal of Brazilian Chemical Society 26 (8) (2015)1551-1564.
- Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas, Shashi Kumar, “Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over highly active and stable Cu/MgO catalysts”, Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology (2015), DOI 10.1002/jctb.4802.
- Sailee Anant Rane, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas, “Esterification of glycerol with acetic acid over highly active and stable alumina-based catalysts: A reaction kinetic study”, Chemical & Biochemical Engineering Quarterly 30 (1) (2016) 33–45.
- Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas, Shishir Sinha, “Hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over γ-Al2O3 supported Cu or Ni monometallic and bimetallic catalysts: Comparison of liquid and vapour phase operation”, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers 61 (2016) 90-96.
- Arun P, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, and Prakash Biswas, Acetylation of glycerol over sulphated alumina: Reaction parameter study and optimization using response surface methodology (RSM)” Energy & Fuel 30 (2016) 584−593.
- Nitin Naresh Pandhare, Satyanarayana Murty Pudi, Prakash Biswas and Shishir Sinha, “Selective hydrogenolysis of glycerol to 1,2-propanediol over highly active and stable Cu/MgO catalyst in vapor phase”, Organic Process Research & Development (Accepted on 11th May, 2016).