Dr. M. Felix Orlando
M. Felix Orlando Assistant Professor felixfee[at]iitr.ac.in
Areas of Interest
- Medical Robotics:, Real-Time Control of Active Flexible Needle for Percutaneous Intervention
- Rehabilitation Robotics:, Design and Control of Hand and Leg Exoskeletons using EMG/EEG signal with Touch/Force/Angular sensor
- Human Hand Biomechanics:, Redundancy Resolution of Human Fingers while performing Activities of Daily Living
- Visual Servoing:, Ball Plate Balancing System using Realtime Vision Feedback
- Virtual Instrumentation:, Signal Processing and Manipulation
Honors and Awards
|IEEE Member||Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers||2014-Pres|
|Session Chair||IEEE 6th ICCSCE 2016 Conference, Penang, Malaysia||2016|
|Session Co-Chair||11th International Conference on "Industrial and Information Systems 2016 (ICIIS2016)'||2016|
|IEEE RAS Member||IEEE Robotics and Automation Society||2014-Pres|
|ASME Member||American Society of Mechanical Engineers||2014-Pres|
|Postdoctoral Fellowship||Real-Time Control of Surgical Needles for Percutaneous Intervention||Case Western Reserve University, USA||2015|
|PhD||Electrical Engineering||Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India||2013|
|Master of Engineering||Robotics and Human Computer Interaction||Korea Institute of Science and Technology, University of Science and Technology, South Korea||2006|
|Bachelor of Engineering||Instrumentation and Control Engineering||University of Madras, India||2004|
- IEEE, Member
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Society, Member
- ASME, Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Introduction to Robotics||EEN-683||Departmental Elective Course||Autumn|
|Applied Instrumentation||EEN-208||EE 2nd Year Core Course||Spring|
|Engineering Analysis and Design||EEN-291||Core Course||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Index Finger Exoskeleton Control Using Inverse Kinematic Control||Nainee Kumari and Sahiti Bagam|
|Ball Plate Balancing System||Pratik Asai and Nakul|
|Needling System for Cancer Treatment||Aman Malhotra, Prashant Sekar Singh and Krishna|
Research Scholar Groups
|Surender Hans||Robot Control|
Participation in short term courses
|Couse Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Modelling and Control of Robots||Mechanical and Industrial Engineering||13/07/2016|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Cooperative Human Finger Motion Analysis and Optimal Design of a Three-Finger Exoskeleton||IIT Roorkee||13/07/2016|
|EMG based Neural Control of Hand Exoskeleton||IIT Kanpur||2 May 2012|
Refereed Journal Papers
- M. Felix Orlando, Laxmidhar Behera, Tomayo Tamei, Tomohiro Shibata, Ashish Dutta and Anupam Saxena," On Redundancy Resolution of the Human Thumb, Index and Middle Fingers in Cooperative Object Translation," Robotica, Sep 2016, pp. 1-26, doi:10.1017/S0263574716000680
- M. Felix Orlando, Ashish Dutta, Anupam Saxena, Laxmidhar Behera, Tomoya Tamei and Tomohiro Shibata, “Manipulability Analysis of Human Thumb, Index and Middle Finger in Cooperative 3D Rotational Movements of a Small Object”, Robotica, vol. 31, pp. 797-809, 2013.
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu, A. Dicker, T. Podder, “Development of Self-actuating Flexible Needle System for Surgical Procedures,” ASME Journal of Medical Devices, vol. 9, no. 2, pp. 1-2.020945 (Jun 01, 2015) (2 pages) Paper No: MED-15-1138; doi: 10.1115/1.4030221 020945.
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, K. Franz, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Zhao, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Control of Shape Memory Alloy Actuated Flexible Needle using Multimodal Sensory Feedbacks”, Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 428-434, 2015.
- Y. J. Zhao, B. Kohn, M. Honarwar, M. Felix Orlando, T. Podder, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, “3D Motion Planning for Robot-Assisted Active Flexible Needle Based on Rapidly-Exploring Random Trees”, Journal of Automation and Control Engineering, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 360-367, 2015.
Peer Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- M. Felix Orlando, Sparsh Gupta, Ankita Puwar, Chetanya Rastogi, Vishrut, Rahul, Avishek, “Classification of Extension and Flexion Positions of Thumb, Index and Middle Fingers using EEG Signal”, 6th IEEE International Conference on Control System, Computing and Engineering, Penang, Malaysia, Nov. 25-27, 2016, pp. 298-303.
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Closed Loop Control of a Robot Assisted Smart Flexible Needle for Percutaneous Intervention”, 37th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Milano, Italy, Aug. 25-29, 2015, pp. 3663-3666.
- M. Felix Orlando, K. Franz, K, Y. Luan, Y. L. Zhao, N. V. Datla, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Development of a coordinated controller for robot-assisted shape memory alloy actuated needle for prostate brachytherapy”, 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Chicago, US, Aug. 26-30, 2014, pp. 357-360.
- Y. J. Zhao, M. Felix Orlando, K. Franz, K, N. V. Datla, Y. D. Zhang, T. Podder, P. Hutapea, A. Dicker, Y. Yu, “Path Planning for Robot-Assisted Active Flexible Needle using Improved Rapidly-Exploring Random Tree”, 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), Chicago, US, Aug. 26-30, 2014, pp. 380-383.
- J. Ngeo, T. Tamei, T. Shibata, M. Felix Orlando, L. Behera, A. Saxena and A. Dutta, “Control of an Optimal Finger Exoskeleton based on Continuous Joint-angle Estimation from EMG signal,” 35th Annual International conference on IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society(IEEE-EMBS), pp. 338-341, 2013.
- M. Felix Orlando, Dutta, A., Saxena, A., Behera, L., Shibata, T., and Tamei, T., 2012, "Hybrid Control of a three finger hand exoskeleton based on EMG and inverse kinematics model," The 30th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, September 17-20, 2012.
- M. Felix Orlando, Dutta, A., Saxena, A., Behera, L, Shibata, T, and Tamei, T, 2011, “Design and development of a three finger hand exoskeleton”, The 29th Annual Conference of the Robotics Society of Japan, Shibaura, September 7-9, 2011.
- M. Felix Orlando, H. Akolkar, A. Dutta, A. Saxena and L. Behera, "Optimal design and control of a thumb exoskeleton”, IEEE TENCON, Fukuoka, Japan, pp. 1492-1497, 2010.
- M. Felix Orlando, H. Akolkar, A. Dutta, A. Saxena and L. Behera, "Optimal design and control of a hand exoskeleton”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics (RAM), Singapore, pp. 72-77, 2010.
- M. Felix Orlando and Oh Young Hwan, “Robot arm control using optimized pinch grasp posture based on object shape”, Proc. 37th Korea Institute of Electrical Engineers, 1, 1929-1930, 2006.
Peer Reviewed Extended Abstracts
- M. Felix Orlando, M. Kumar, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Effects of Tissue Interference on Electromagnetic Sensor and Ultrasound Imaging Sensing for Robot Guided Needle Interventions,” Medical Physics, 42,3596, 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4925550
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, Y. Yu, T. Podder, “Prostate HDR Brachytherapy with Multichannel Robotic System,” Medical Physics, 42,3534, 2015; http://dx.doi.org/10.1118/1.4925215
- M. Felix Orlando, P. Hutapea, T. Podder, Y. Yu, “Experimental Evaluation of Coordinated Control Scheme of a Robot Guided Active Flexible Needle with US and EM Sensory Feedbacks,” World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering (WC2015), 2015. (Accepted for Oral Presentation).
- T.Podder and M. Felix Orlando, “A Novel Active Flexible Needle for Medical Interventions,” Filed as IP at Case Western Reserve University on 6thFeb 2015.