Department of Hydro and Reneweable Energy (HRED) offers the following streams for the students seeking direct admission :
Four semester Master of Technology (M. Tech.) Degree Programme in “Alternate Hydro Energy Systems”.
- No. of Seats : 25 Regular (GATE qualified with Institute Fellowship) + 5 sponsored + Self financed (GATE qualified and/or foreign nationals)
- Eligibility : A recognised Bachelor degree in Civil/Electrical/Mechanical/ Industrial/Chemical/Electronics/Computer/Agricultural/Environmental Engineering or any other equivalent qualification acceptable to the Institute with atleast 60% marks including AMIE examination of Institute of Engineer (I).
Four Semester Master of Technology (M. Tech.) Degree Programme in “Environmental Management of Rivers and Lakes”, - sponsored by Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India.
- No. of Seats : 05 Sponsored by Govt. Agencies (National participants) + 15 Regular (GATE qualified with Institute Fellowship) + 5 Self financed (GATE qualified and/or foreign participants)
- Eligibility : A recognized degree in Civil /Electrical /Mechanical/Industrial/Chemical/ Agricultural/ Environmental Engineering/ Architecture/ Town Planning or equivalent with at least 60% marks or a CGPA of 6.00 on a 10 point scale at the Bachelor’s level including AMIE examination of Institute of Engineer (I). OR Masters of Science with Mathematics at graduation level limited to 30% of total seats.
Procedure for Admission
For Sponsered Candidates
(a) Indian Students
Application should be made in the prescribed form completed in all respects and duly endorsed by the employing organisation or government. "A Certificate of financial guarantee" from the sponsoring organisation or government for meeting all their expenses during their training should also be enclosed with the application. The applications of the candidates sponsored by government and other organisations should be sent to Head, Department of Hydro and Renewable Energy, Indian Institute of Technology, Roorkee-247667 (U.P.) India. The applications should normally reach in the office by 15th May each year so that suitability for selection is notified by end of May.
(b) International Students
(b) Training under Colombo Plan Staff College (CPSC): Candidates fulfilling the above qualification may apply on the prescribed format or on plain paper with essential information as : Name (as in passport), Father's Name, Mother's Name, Present position, Name of Organisation, Date of Birth (as per English Calendar), Educational Qualifications (in Chronological order starting from Secondary School Leaving Examination to Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Engineering or Technology - enclose attested copies of certificates and mark-sheets of Bachelor's or Master's degree. DO NOT enclose originals), job experience with nature of duties performed, Nationality, latest passport size photographs (3 nos.)., Official and Residential Address with Tel and Fax and E-mail address, Passport No. and its date of validity. The candidates from Bangaladesh, Bhutan, India, Iran, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal & Sri Lanka can apply under CPSC programme to Assistant Educational advisor (T), Ministry of Human Resource Development, Department of Secondary Education & Higher Education, Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi-110001. The details of fee structure to be charged by the University from candidates admitted under the CPSC programme is at Appendix-IA.
Reservation : The reservation of seats in respect of GATE qualified candidates will be applicable as per the rules of the Institute.
Scholarships for GATE qualified Candidates: Scholarships shall be provided only to the GATE qualified candidates admitted to the course as per Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Govt. of India norms.
Eligibility and Minimum Qualification
An applicant possessing the following qualifications in appropriate areas shall be eligible to apply for admission for Ph.D. programme of the Institute :
- Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 6.00 on a 10 point scale or equivalent as determined by the Institute wherever letter grades are awarded; or 60% marks in aggregate (of all the years/ semesters) where marks are awarded.
- Applicants with B.Tech. degree or equivalent in respective discipline with excellent academic record (with a minimum CGPA of 7.5 on a 10 point scale or equivalent or 70% marks) may be considered eligible for admission.
Applicants for admission for full-time studies who do not possess a M.Tech. degree in engineering/ technology in the relevant field must have a valid GATE score (at least 75 percentile) for engineering / Technology/ Science disciplines or must have qualified national level fellowship examinations such as NET (JRF/LS) conducted by UGC/CSIR for Science/ Humanities and Social Sciences disciplines.
Full-Time Research Scholar:
(a) Institute Research Scholar
(b) Govt./Semi Govt. Fellowship Awardees (QIP.CSIR, UGC), DAE, DST, DBT, etc.)
(c) Sponsored Candidates
(d) Self Financed (Indian / Foreign) / Study Leave / College Teacher
(e) ICCR Awardees (Foreign Students)
Part-Time Research Scholars
(f) Institute Faculty / Staff
(g) Project Staff
(h) External Candidates (Sponsored)
- Application form and research areas can be downloaded from www.iitr.ernet.in/admissions and sent to Assistant Registrar (Academic) along with a demand draft of Rs. 200/-. Application form with other detailed information can also be obtained by sending a self addressed envelope (23 x 17 cm) to Assistant Registrar (Academic), Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, Roorkee –247 667, by sending a demand draft for Rs. 250/-.
- Please visit the Institute website http://www.iitr.ac.in/admissions.html for detailed information concerning admissions and application forms.
Provision of institutional assistantship from MHRD and tuition fee waiver also exists, as per Institute Rules/Regulations.
For more information, please contact:
Deputy Registrar (Academic),
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee,
Roorkee – 247 667, Uttarakhand (India)
Ph: (+91 1332) 285200, 285098
Fax (+91 1332) 285200, 273560