B. V. Manoj Kumar
B. Venkata Manoj Kumar Associate Professor manojfmt[at]iitr.ac.in 0091-8755746590
Areas of Interest
- Research and teaching, Structural Ceramcis
- Ceramics and tribology, Ultra high temperature ceramics
- Research and teaching, Tribology
- Research and teaching, Metal Matrix Composites
- Research and teaching, Friction Stir Processing
- Research and teaching, Martensitic Stainless Steels
|2016||Continuing||Associate Professor||IIT Roorkee|
|2011||2016||Assistant Professor||IIT Roorkee, India|
|2009||2011||Research Professor||the University of Seoul (UOS), Seoul, South Korea|
|2008||2009||Post-Doctoral Fellow||Seoul National University (SNU), Seoul, South Korea|
|2007||2007||Project Assoicate||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, India|
|2005||2006||Guest Researcher||University of Ljubljana (UOL), Ljubjana, Slovenia|
|2003||2007||Research Scholar||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kanpur, India|
|2001||2002||Lecturer (Adhoc)||National Institute of Technology (NIT), Warangal, India|
|PhD||Materials and Metallurgical Engineering||IIT Kanpur||2007|
|August2014||May 2016||Warden, Cautley Bhawan||IIT Roorkee|
Sponsored Research Projects
|Strong and Wear Resistant SiC Nano Composites for Efficient Green Transport Engine Systems||DST||2017|
|Nano-structured novel TiCN cermets for cutting tool applications||DST||2015|
|Erosion behavior of ZrB2-SiC composites||ISRO||2015|
|Enhancement of Wear Resistance of SiC-WC Composites for Tribological Applications||CSIR||2014|
|Optimization of composition of two wheeler brake pads||TVS Motor Company Ltd. Chennai||2011|
|Analysis of Microstructural Defects in Austenitic Stainless Steel Wire Roads||Rimjhim Stainless Ltd., Kanpur||2016|
Participation in seminars
|3rd International Congress on Ceramics||Osaka, Japan||Prof. Y.-W. Kim, University of Seoul||14-11-2010|
|Korean Ceramic Society meeting||Jeju , Korea||Prof. Y.-W. Kim, University of Seoul||22-04-2010|
|Korean Ceramic Society meeting||Changwon, Korea||Prof. Y.-W. Kim, University of Seoul||22-04-2010|
|Korean Ceramic Society meeting,||Dajeon, Korea||Prof. Y.-W. Kim, University of Seoul||19-10-2009|
|1st International Conference of Advanced Tribology||National University of Singapore, Singapore||Self||01-12-2004|
|International Symposium of Research Students||Chennai, India||Sef||20-12-2004|
|15th MRSI conference||Banaras Hindu University, India||Prof. B. Basu, IIT Kanpur||15-04-2004|
|17th National Convention of Metallurgical and Materials Engineers and National Seminar on Emerging M||Bhopal, India||Prof. B. Basu, IIT Kanpur||2003-10-11|
- Tribology Society of India, Life Member
- American Ceramic Society, Member
- Indian Institute of Metals, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Structure of Materials||MT 501||MTech||Autumn|
|Ceramic and Metal Powder Synthesis||MTN-304||BTech||Spring|
|Ceramic and Polymeric Materials||MT 332 (N)||BTech||Spring|
|Compsites and Polymers||MT-401||BTech||Autumn|
Projects and Thesis Supervised
|Title of Project||Names of Students|
|Studies on erosion wear behavior of SiC-WC comopsites||Mr. Sandan Kumar Sharma|
|Soild particle erosion behaviour of high purity titanium and tantalum||Mr. Sameer Upadhyay|
|Sliding wear behaviour of silicon carbide ceramics||Mr. V. Madhusekhar|
|Tribological properties of advanced cermets system||Mr. Prabhat Kumar Yadav|
|Effect of lubrication on sliding wear behavior of 13/4 martensitic stainless steel||Mr. Vipin Goyal|
|Tribological study of friction stir processed aluminium alloy surface composites||Mr. Ranjeet Kumar Singh Yadav|
|Sliding wear behavior of SiC ceramics sintered with small amount of yttria||Ms. Supriya Gupta|
|Effect of SiC particle size on sliding wear behavior of friction stir processed 5083 alloy||Mr. Yashpal|
|Erosion studies of heat treated martensitic stainless steel||Mr. Samanvay Shah|
|High temperature erosion wear of SiC-TaC ceramic composites||Mr. Kapil|
|High temperature erosion wear of TiCN based cermets||Mr. Dinesh Singh|
Research Scholar Groups
|Mr. Sandan Kumar Sharma||SiC ceramics, Wear, SPS|
|Mr. Vikas Verma||Cermets, Wear, SPS|
|Mr. Vipin Sharma||Metal matrix composites, friction stir processing, tribology|
|Mr. Rajavel Muttaiah||Al alloy composites, SPS, wear|
|Mr. Yashpal||ZrB2 ceramics, SPS, erosion|
|Sonali Jamale||Boron carbide ceramics, wear|
|Ch. Suryaprakas Rao||SiC, TiB2|
|Nilesh Dorkar||SiC, BN, wear|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Fabrication and Tribology of friction stir processed Al alloy surface composites||Mr. Vipin Sharma||A||2011|
|TiCN BASED CERMET SYSTEMS FOR THE IMPROVED WEAR AND MACHINING PERFORMANCE||Mr. Vikas Verma||A||2012|
|Tribological behaviour of SiC-WC composites||Mr. Sandan Kumar Sharma||A||2012|
|Devlopment and wear study of heat treated SiC reinforced 6061AA composites||Mr. Rajavel Muttaiah||A||2012|
|ZrB2 based ceramic composites for erosion resistance applications||Mr. Yashpal||O||2015|
|Boron carbide ceramic composites for wear applications||Ms. Sonali Jamale||O||2016|
|Electromehanical properties of SiC ceramics||Ch. Suryaprakas Rao||O||2017|
|SiC-BN composites for wear applications||Nilesh Dorkar||O||2017|
|Developement and wear properteis of TaC based composites||Ms. Smita Pandey||O||2017|
Visits to outside institutions
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Yokohama National University||Invited talk at Yokohama National University||Dec. 2017|
|University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia||Indo- Slovnia collaborative research project||May 2016|
|University of Seoul, Seoul, South Korea||For inivited lecture||Sept.2015|
|PACRIM11 2016, ICC Jeju, South Korea||Invited speaker in PACRIM 11 2016 Conference||Sept 2015|
|University of Seoul||Guest Sceintist||Dec 2011|
|University of Seoul||Research Professor||2009-2011|
|University of Ljubljana, Slovenia||Guest Researcher||2005-2006|
|Seoul National University, Seoul||Post-Doctoral Researcher||2008-2009|
|National University of Singapore, Singapore||For contributory talk in a 1st International Conference of Advanced Tribology||Dec 2004|
Special Lectures Delivered
|Advanced Structural Ceramics||Jaipur Engineering College & Research Centre, Jaipur,||14/03/2015|
|Fundamentals of Ceramics||Coimbatore Institute of Technology, Coimbatore, India||03/11/2014|
|Processing and Wear Properties of Si2N2O Phase-free Nano Si3N4 Ceramics||IISc, Bangalore, India||21/12/2013|
|Introduction to Structural Ceramics||JNTUK, Vijayanagaram, A.P.||13/03/2014|
|Structural Ceramics||Dept of MME, IIT Roorkee||29/01/2014|
|Commercialization of Academic Research||IIT Roorkee||07/02/2014|
|“Processing and Tribological Properties of Advanced Ceramic System||ARCI, Hyderabad||27/12/2010|
|Material Removal Mechanisms of a New Generation Cermets: TiCN-Ni-MC (M: W, Nb, Ta, Hf)||DMRL, Hyderabad||26/12/2010|
|Grain size and wear properties of zirconia ceramics||Korea University, Seoul, Korea||05/02/2009|
|Understanding tribological properties of TiCN-Ni based cermets||IIT Delhi, India||20/08/2008|
|Understanding tribological properties of TiCN-Ni based cermets||Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.||13/02/2008|
|Fretting wear behaviour of Mg-SiCp composites: Evolution of wear mechanisms||IIT Kanpur||08/12/2006|
|“India, IITs and Research work at IITK Ceramic laboratory||University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia.||07/12/2005|
National International Collaboration
|Wear resistant SiC ceramics||University of Seoul, Seoul||RP|
|Nano-structured cermets for cutting tool applications||University of Ljubljana, Ljubljana, Slovenia||RP|
Refereed Journal Papers
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim, Tribological Behavior of Silicon Carbide Ceramics - A Review, Journal of the Korean Ceramic Society 2016; 53:581-596
- Vipin Sharma, Ujjwal Prakash and B.V. Manoj Kumar, Surface Composites by Friction Stir Processing: A Review, Journal of Materials Processing and Technology 2015;224:117-134
- B. V. Manoj Kumar and Young-Wook Kim. Processing of Polysiloxane-Derived Porous Ceramics- A Review, Science and Technology of Advanced Materials, STAM 2010: 11:044303
- Vipin Sharma, Ujjwal Prakash and B. V. Manoj Kumar, Challenges in fabrication of surface composites by friction stir processing route, Advanced Composites for Aerospace, Marine and Land Applications II (Ed. T. Sano and T.S. Srivatsan), TMS (The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society), John Wiley & Sons 2015 pp 93-100 (ISBN 978-1-119-08226-2)
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim. Tribology of WC reinforced SiC ceramics: Influence of counterbody.Friction 2018; 1-14 https://doi.org/10.1007/s40544-017-0194-2
- S. S. Rathore, V. Verma, B.V. Manoj Kumar, Vikram V. Dabhade, Tribological behaviour of sinter-forged Fe-2Cu-0.7C-xMo alloys. Wear 2018:410–411: 222-231.
- Prabhat Chand Yadav, Sandan Kumar Sharma, B.Venkata Manoj Kumar, Sinhoo Kang, Effect of linear velocity on sliding wear behavior of TiCN based cermets, Materials Today: Proceedings 2018;5:17342–17349
- Sandan Kumar Sharmaa , B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Blaz Brodnik Zugelj, Mitjan Kalin, Young-Wook Kim. Room and high temperature reciprocated sliding wear behavior of SiC-WC composites. Ceramics International 2017;43;16827-16834
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim. Effect of impingement angle and WC content on high temperature erosion behavior of SiC-WC composites- International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 2017;68:166-171
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, Yashpal, Ashish W. Selokar, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, T. Venkateswaran. High Temperature Erosion Behavior of Spark Plasma Sintered ZrB2-SiC Composites, Ceramics International 2017;43;8982-8988
- Vikas Verma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Sliding wear behavior of SPS processed TaC-containing Ti(CN)-WC-NiCo cermets against Silicon Carbide. Wear 2017; 376-377; 1570-1579
- R Manoj Kumar, Pallavi Gupta, Sandan Kumar Sharma, Akshat Mittal, Manish Shekhar, Vijayesh Kumar, BV Manoj Kumar, Partha Roy, Debrupa Lahiri, Sustained drug release from surface modified UHMWPE for acetabular cup lining in total hip implant, Materials Science and Engineering C 2017;77:649–661
- Vikas Verma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Processing of alumina-based composites via conventional sintering and their characterization, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 2017;32:21–26
- Vikas Verma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Tribological characteristics of conventionally sintered TiCN-WC-Ni/Co cermets against cemented carbide, Ceramics International 2017; 43:368-375
- Vikas Verma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Processing of TiCN-WC-Ni/Co cermets via Conventional and Spark Plasma Sintering Technique, Transactions of Indian Institute of Metals 2017;70: 843-853
- Vikas Verma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Sinhoo Kang, Sliding wear behaviour of TaC-containing Ti(CN)-WC-Ni/Co cermets, International Journal of Applied Ceramic Technology 2016; 13:1033-1042
- Supriya Gupta, Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim, Tribological characteristics of SiC ceramics sintered with a small amount of yttria, Ceramics International 2015;41:14780-14789
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim, Effect of WC addition on sliding wear behavior of SiC ceramics, Ceramics International 2015;41:3427-3437.
- Manoj Kumar R, Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Debrupa Lahiri, Effects of Carbon Nanotube Aspect ratio on strengthening and tribological behaviour of ultra high molecular weight polyethylene composite, Composites: Part A 2015; 76: 62-72
- Yashpal, Vipin Sharma, B.V. Manoj Kumar, Issues in determining size of nano-crystalline ceramic particles by X-ray diffraction, Materials Today: Proceedings 2015;2: 3534 – 3538
- Vipin Sharma, Yahshpal, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Ujjwal Prakash, Friction stir processing strategies of uniform distribution of reinforcement in a surface composite, Materials and Manufacturing Processes 2016;31: 1384–1392.
- Selokar , U. Prakash, D. B. Goel, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Cavitation erosion and solid particle erosion behaviour of a nitrogen alloyed austenitic stainless steel, ISIJ International 2015;55:1123-1130.
- Vipin Goyal, Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Effect of lubrication on tribological behaviour of martensitic stainless steel Materials Today: Proceedings 2015;2: 1082 – 1091
- D. C. Joshi, S. Nayak, P. Suresh , K. S. Suresh, B. V. Manoj Kumar, and S. Thota, The X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy and high-temperature structural studies of Zn1−xNixO/NiO two-phase composites Physica Status Solidi B 2015;252: 2323-2329
- Vipin Sharma, U. Prakash, B.V. Manoj Kumar Microstructural and mechanical characteristics of AA2014/SiC surface composite fabricated by friction stir processing Materials Today: Proceedings 2015;2: 2666 – 2670
- Sandan Kumar Sharma, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Kwang-Young Lim, Young-Wook Kim, S.K. Nath. Erosion behaviour of SiC-WC composites, Ceramics International 2014;40:6829-6839.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Wentao Zhai, Jung-Hye Eom, Young-Wook Kim and Chul B. Park Processing Highly Porous SiC Ceramics Using Poly (Ether-co-Octene) and Hollow Microsphere Templates Journal of Materials Science 2011;46:3664-3667.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Jung-Hye Eom, Young-Wook Kim, In-Hyuck Song, Hai-Doo Kim. Effect of Aluminum Hydroxide Content on Porosity and Strength of Porous Mullite-Bonded Silicon Carbide Ceramics Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan 2011;119:367-370.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Kwang-Young Lim, Young-Wook Kim, Influence of Submicron SiC Particle Addition on Porosity and Flexural Strength of Porous Self-Bonded Silicon Carbide Metals and Materials International 2011;17:435-440.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Jung-Hye Eom, Young-Wook Kim Effect of filler addition on porosity and strength of polysiloxane-derived porous silicon carbide ceramics, Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan 2011; 119 : 48-54.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Young-Wook Kim, Dae-Soon Lim, Won-Seon Seo. Influence of Small Amount of Sintering Additives on Unlubricated Sliding Wear Properties of SiC Ceramics, Ceramics International 2011;37:3599-3608
- Jung-Hoo Shin, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Jae-Hee Kim and Seong-Hyeon Hong. “Tribological Poroperties of Si3N4/SiC Nano-Nano Composite Ceramics, Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2011;94:3683-3685
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Jung-Hye Eom, Young-Wook Kim, In-Sub Han and Sang-Kuk Woo. Effect of Aluminum Source on Flexural Strength of Mullite-Bonded Porous Silicon Carbide Ceramics, Journal of the Ceramic Society of Japan 2010; 118:13-18.
- B V Manoj Kumar, Myong-Hoon Roh, Young-Wook Kim, Wonjoong Kim and Sang Whan Park. Mechanical properties of SiC Ceramics sintered with RE2O3 (RE: Sc, Lu, Y) and AlN Additives, Metals and Materials International 2010;16:229-233.
- Aditya Jain, B. Basu, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Harshavardhan and J. Sarkar. Grain Size -Wear Rate Relationship for Titanium in Liquid Nitrogen Environment, Acta Materialia 2010;58:2313-2323.
- B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Won-Sik Kim, Seong-Hyeon Hong, Hung-Tak Bae and Dae-Soon Lim. Effect of grain size on wear behavior in Y-TZP ceramics, Materials Science and Engineering A 2010; 527:474–479.
- Jae-Hee Kim, B. Venkata Manoj Kumar, Seong-Hyeon Hong, and Hai-Doo Kim. Fabrication of Silicon Nitride Nano-Ceramics and Their Tribological Properties. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2010;93:1461-1466.
- B V Manoj Kumar, Myong-Hoon Roh, Young-Wook Kim, Wonjoong Kim and Sang Whan Park. Effect of additive composition on microstructure and mechanical properties of SiC ceramics sintered with small amount of RE2O3 (RE: Sc, Lu, Y) and AlN, Journal of Materials Science 2009; 44:5939–5943
- Bikramjit Basu, B. V. Manoj Kumar and Paul S. Gilman. Deformation of High Purity Cold Worked Copper during Sliding Against Bearing Steel in Cryogenic Environment. Journal of Materials Science 2009; 44:2300-2309.
- Atiar R. Molla, B. V. Manoj Kumar and Bikramjit Basu. Friction and Wear Mechanisms of K2O–MgO–Al2O3–B2O3–SiO2–F Glass Ceramics. Journal of the European Ceramic Society 2009;29: 2481–2489
- Jae-Hee Kim, Venkata Manoj Kumar B, Won-Sik Kim and Seong-Heyon Hong. Wear properties of silicon nitride-nano ceramics, Journal of the Korean Ceramic Society 2009; 46;505-509. (in Korean)
- B. V. Manoj Kumar and Bikramjit Basu. Mechanisms of material removal during high temperature fretting of TiCN–Ni based cermets. International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 2008; 26: 504–513.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Bikramjit Basu, Joze Vizintin and Mitjan Kalin. Tribochemistry in sliding wear of TiCN-Ni based cermets. Journal of Materials Research 2008; 23: 1214-1227.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar and Bikramjit Basu. Fretting wear properties of TiCN-Ni cermets: Influence of load and secondary carbide addition. Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A 2008; 39A :539-550.
- M. Karanjai, B.V. Manoj Kumar, R. Sundaresan, B. Basu, T.R. Ramamohan and B.P.Kashyap; Fretting wear study on Ti-Ca-P biocomposites in dry and simulated body fluids; Materials Science Engineering A 2008;475:299–307.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Bikramjit Basu, Mitjan Kalin and Joze Vizintin. Load dependent transition in sliding wear properties of TiCN-WC-Ni cermets. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2007; 90:1534-1540.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, R. Balasubramiam and Bikramjit Basu. Electrochemical behavior of TiCN-Ni based cermets. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2007; 90 : 205–210.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, J Ram Kumar and Bikramjit Basu. Crater wear mechanisms of TiCN-Ni-WC cermets during dry machining. International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 2007; 25[5-6]:392-399.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, J. Ramkumar, Bikramjit Basu and S. Kang. Electro-discharge machining performance of TiCN-based cermets; International Journal of Refractory Metals and Hard Materials 2007; 25:293-299.
- Manas Ranjan Tripathy, B. V. Manoj Kumar, Bikramjit Basu, R. K. Dube, S. C. Koria. Tribological behavior of steel backed Al-Sn Strips prepared via spray atomization-deposition-rolling Route; Materials Science and Technology 2006; 22 :1-8.
- Debdas Roy, Bikramjit Basu, Amitava Basu Mallick, B. V. Manoj Kumar and Sumit Ghosh; Understanding the unlubricated friction and wear behavior of Fe-aluminide reinforced Al-based in-situ metal matrix composite; Composites: Part A 2006; 37:1464-1472
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, Bikramjit Basu, S. Kang and J. Ramkumar. Erosion wear behavior of TiCN-Ni cermets containing secondary carbides (WC/NbC/TaC). Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2006; 89 : 3827-3831.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar and B. Basu; Evolution in friction and wear of fretting wear of Mg-SiCp composites: Influence of fretting duration; Journal of Materials Research 2005; 20:801-812.
- B. V. Manoj Kumar, B. Basu, V S R Murthy and Manoj Gupta; The role of tribochemistry on fretting wear of Mg-SiC particulate composites; Composites: Part A 2005;36;13-23.
- D. Sarkar, B. V. Manoj Kumar, S. Ahn, S. Kang and B. Basu, Fretting wear behavior of Ti(CN)-based advanced cermets; Key Engineering Materials 2004; 264-268:1115-1119.
- Debasish Sarkar, B. V. Manoj Kumar, and Bikramjit Basu. Fretting Wear behavior of Ti(CN)-Ni Cermet: Influence of Secondary carbide content; Metals, Materials and Processes 2004; 16:397-402.
- Coordinator QIP sponsored one-day workshop on “Spark Plasma Sintering: A Promising Technique to Develop Advanced Structural Materials” on February 13, 2016 at IIT Roorkee.
- Coordinator QIP sponsored short term course “Materials and Processes for High Temperature Applications” during June 06-10, 2016 at IIT Roorkee.
- Coordinator for Training of Trainers (ToT) Program, “Organising IP Creation & Management in HEIs” September 13-17, 2016, IIT Roorkee
- Course coordinator, Short term course on “Materials Science Influence in Tribology of Engineering Ceramics, to be held from June 30 – July 04, 2014,
- Course Coordinator, Short term course on “How to improve innovation and IP in HEIs,” February 03-07, 2014
- Coordinator for one day workshop, “Innomania” 14 February, 2015 IIT Roorkee organized by TOCIC, IIT Roorkee
- Coordinator for Two–day Orientation Program for research students of IIT Roorkee, “Importance of IP(Patents and copy rights) and commercial aspects of research” September 19-20, 2015, IIT Roorkee
- Convener, QIP Workshop titled, “Establishment of Concept Materials Research Laboratory to meet the Futuristic Demands of Cutting Edge Technology,” September 22-23, 2012 at IIT Roorkee
- Convener, Annual Day Celebrations 2012, Department of Metallurgical and Matrerials Engineering, September 22-23, 2012 at IIT Roorkee
- Co-convener, QIP Workshop titled, “Market Demand of Materials Engineering Education in the Context of Industrial Growth,” November 4-5, 2011, IIT Roorkee