Unnat Bharat Abhiyan (UBA), IIT Roorkee, aims to address the developmental challenges of rural India through participatory processes and appropriate technologies to build a sustainable ecosystem.Under the aegis of UBA, IIT Roorkee has adopted 8 villages namely Beladi-Salhapur, Chandpur-Khurd, Chandpur-Kala, Horawala, Chharba, Jhabarpur, Meerpur-Muwazarpur, and Puranpur-Salhapur to ignite a transformational change.
What have we done?
Having identified persistent problems, the student team has been successful in implementing solutions across fields like health, education, skill development, agriculture, physical, social & institutional infrastructure. To name a few;
- Mini-Bank Initiative: Establishment of SBI Kiosk bank (mini bank) in Horawala village, to enable comfortable monetary transactions.
- Cattle Vaccination Drive: A veterinary camp to provide cattle vaccination against Foot and Mouth Diseases (FMD), which might be responsible for reduced production, fertility, or death in the cattle & economic losses to the producers.
- Digi-School: Digitalization of the Government Inter-College (GIC), Horawala through the installation of computers, projectors & smartboard
- Agriculture Cap Initiative: Farmers were encouraged to cultivate aromatic plants that serve as a raw material for incense sticks, phenyl, soap, and surf, thus inducing additional employment means.
- Self-Help Groups: Existing self-help groups of women were made active in the village to generate additional income in producing house-hold items & selling in the local markets.
Winter School, the flagship event of UBA, IIT Roorkee aims to empower & sensitize young minds towards rural upliftment. Winter School offers an unparalleled learning experience with renowned Professors and Experts in fields of Social Entrepreneurship, Accessible India, Issues of Indian Economy, Personal & Interpersonal development in form of phenomenal events like Guest Lectures, Workshops, Panel & Group discussions, field visits, etc.
To know more please visit our website here
Facebook: UBA, IITR
Phone no: 9634886697