- Congratulations !! Kaishu Sahu and Aman Bhandula (final year BTech students) for your start-up Farmako won funding from Y combinator Posted On: 29 May, 2020
- Congratulations !! Prof. P. Gopinath, your article published in ACS Applied Bio Materials is highlighted as a cover page and most read articles Posted On: 11 May, 2020
- Congratulations !! Prof. Kiran your research published in FASEB BioAdvances, is among the top 10% most downloaded papers Posted On: 02 May, 2020
- Congratulations !! Prof. Pranita's group on the acceptance of your papers for publications in the FEBS and Cytokine journals Posted On: 02 May, 2020
- Congratulations!! Prof. P. Gopinath and team for receiving BIRAC-SRISTI GYTI-2019 Award. Posted On: 13 Jul, 2019
A Centre of Biosciences was started in 1980 and upgraded to a full-fledged academic Department of Biosciences and Biotechnology in 1986. It was renamed as the Department of Biotechnology in the year 2002. The department has teaching and research programmes which encompass various basic and applied aspects of modern biotechnology. The main objective of the Department is to provide academic training and conduct research in the interdisciplinary areas of biotechnology with a particular emphasis on extending the knowledge generated from these studies towards the development of technologies of commercial significance. A B.Tech.(Biotechnology) course has been started in 2005.
Biotech Day Abstract
The Department of Biotechnology celebrated its annual day a.k.a Biotech Day from 21st to 23rd Feb.
... Great enthusiasm and vivacious sports, cultural activities were visible in every corner of the department. One gets the opportunity to interact with students and faculties from different programs -B.Tech, M.Tech, M.Sc, P.hD. In the event, students and professors collectively participate in cultural and sports activities. The event commenced with an introductory speech delivered by Dr AK Sharma, HOD. The chief guest for the event was alumnus Shubham Rathore who is now the CEO of his successful start-up enterprise of creating pocket spectrophotometers in India. Followed by the inaugural ceremony, a scavenger hunt was organized wherein around 30 teams participated. On day two, sports activities comprising of volleyball, football, cricket took place where teams from different strata had friendly matches with a team comprising of professors. It was a fun day out in the sun, celebrating the biotech fraternity. On day three, poster presentation was conducted. In this event, students working in different research labs in the department had to design a poster based on the field they were working in. This helped in promotion of home-ground research ideas and raising awareness for the kind of research IIT Roorkee undertakes in Biotech field.
A variety of fun activities were organized like rangoli competition, kid’s competition for staff wards and tambola which was open for all. In the evening, a cultural program was held wherein students presented songs, dance, poetry and other group performances. The celebrations culminated in dinner and DJ. Overall, the program encouraged interaction among the students and professors in addition to professional relationship to a great extent and was indeed successful in bringing the fraternity together.
We thank the HOD, Faculty Advisor Dr. Kiran Ambatipudi, the Biotech Student Student Society for putting up a great show and also to all who showed up and actively participated.