The Department of Mathematics attained its present status of an independent department in 1960. Growing steadily, today the department runs its own Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs in Mathematics, Besides this, we also teach various topics in Mathematics to Undergraduate and Postgraduate students of different Engineering and Science Departments.
Courses Offered by the Department:
- Integrated M.Sc. Applied Mathematics (Five Years)
- M.Sc. Mathematics (Two Years)
- Ph.D. in Mathematics
Department Research Areas:
- Algebra, Number Theory, Coding Theory and Cryptography
- Complex Analysis, Approximation Theory
- Control Theory, Operator Theory, Functional Analysis, Inverse Problems
- Image Processing
- Partial Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis
- Probability Theory and Stochastic Analysis
- Stochastic Partial Differential Equations
- Operations Research, Optimization
- Soft Computing, Fuzzy Systems
- Statistics and Financial Mathematics
- Computational Fluid Dynamics, Bio-Mathematics
Besides the central Computing facilities of the Institute, the department has its own state of the art Computational Lab and a Mathematical Modelling Lab. The Department also offers facilities for research work leading to Ph.D. degree in different branches of Pure and Applied Mathematics. Department had collaborated with different National and International Organizations and has expertise in various fields of Mathematics.
Our Department also offers consultancies in Mathematical modelling and solution of various industrial and real-life problems. The Faculty also joins different Industrial Research and Consultancy teams to mutually solve problems of higher Mathematical contents. The Department of Mathematics also has expertise in various fields of Computer Science and Technology and several subjects of this field have been and are being taught by the teachers of the department, specifically in programming languages and techniques, fuzzy networks, simulation, modelling and computer graphics. To keep abreast of the latest developments, the department keeps on periodically updating and revising its teaching and research schemes and introduce new courses.