Guidelines for submitting application for clearance by the IBSC
It is mandatory to inform the IBSC and get its prior approval for undertaking any project in the institute involving rDNA technology, or any kind of genetic manipulation. IBSC reviews such projects on a regular basis and ensure the safety part of it. The evaluation report is sent to Review Committee on Genetic Manipulation (RCGM); Department of Biotechnology, (DBT), Government of India, New Delhi.
1. Submit a hard copy of the application to the office of the Member Secretary, Biotechnology Department. A soft copy of the application should also be submitted via email to email@example.com
2. The application form can be downloaded from here
3. Please note that the IBSC normally meets twice in a year (March and September), therefore the application should be submitted at least 30 days in advance (i.e., by February 10 for the March meeting, and by August 10 for the September meeting).
4. All principal investigators have to inform IBSC about experiments involving recombinant DNA (rDNA) technology, genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or living modified organisms (LMOs) through the application as stated above. This should be done prior to submission of a grant application to a funding agency.
5. While preparing the application please note the following:
(i). For experiments involving rDNA, the PI must ensure the biosafety level as well as the category that the experiments fall under the guidelines provided on page 187 in the following document <<Recombinant DNA Safety Guidelines 1990 of DBT
(ii). The assignment of the risk category of any microorganism(s) being handled as part of the experimental protocol must be determined based on the information provided in the pages 208-220 of the relevant document <<Recombinant DNA Safety Guidelines of DBT
(iii). Please go through the guidelines provided by DBT in the following document to understand the responsibilities of the PI <<DBT Guidelines Handbook - 2011
6. The application will be evaluated by the committee and the applicant may be asked to provide other documents and necessary information if required.
A meeting of IBSC will be scheduled and the date will be communicated to the applicant at least 20 days in advance. The applicant may be asked to present his/her proposal to the committee and a decision will be communicated to applicant within a period of 10 days.
All applicants are advised to go through the Indian Biosafety Rules & Regulations.
Prof. Kiran Ambatipudi
BSBE Department, IIT Roorkee